i feel like at this point time is running a goddamn marathon. how is it june already? we’re almost halfway through the year? not gonna lie, i have lost track of time. days have become all the same, especially since i finished my first year of college (wooho!). but anyway…
may was…a ride. for the most part, i had to study for my finals, which felt really weird because since i haven’t been to college in weeks, i had zero motivation to study. fortunately, i did study
a little when the crippling anxiety fell on me. most of ramadan was also during may, and i had to celebrate differently this year, alone.
however, on a happier note, i turned 19 a few days ago! i got to celebrate, thankfully, the fact that i’ve completed another year of my life. and i realized that the difference between being 18 et being 19 is absolutely inexistent.
books i read:
- ONCE UPON AN EID, edited by s.k. ali and aisha saeed (ARC): this anthology hit close to home. normally, i have more conflicted thoughts about anthologies, but this one surpassed my expectations. the joy and sadness of Eid is told through so many beautiful stories, and i really feel like everyone (muslim or not) should read this.
- ONCE GHOSTED, TWICE SHY (Reluctant Royals #2.5), by alyssa cole: this is a little novella i listened to one morning and i really liked it, even though i felt like i needed more at the end. i mean, sapphic romance? count me in.
- WHEN DIMPLE MET RISHI (Dimple and Rishi #1), by sandhya menon: while i had many problems with this story, such as the boring second half of it, i still enjoyed it. it’s a very cute love story.
- THERE’S SOMETHING ABOUT SWEETIE (Dimple and Rishi #2), by sandhya menon: this book was so cute i was grinning from ear to ear at the end! loved it soooo much!
- BY THE BOOK, by amanda sellet (ARC): this book was just the sweetest thing ever! a very amazing take on YA and classic litterature, about a girl who uses her knowledge of classic lit in order to blend in and live the high school experience. but she has a lot to learn.
- THE LOVE & LIES OF RUKHSANA ALI, by sabina khan: oh boi. this book hit hard. i haven’t sobbed after finishing a book since Clockwork Princess by cassandra clare (in 2016), but this book bruised me. it was so beautiful and hopeful yet so sad and heart-breaking. definitely be careful if you wanna pick it up.
- MORE THAN JUST A PRETTY FACE, by syed m. masood (ARC): i was so excited for this book. and while i enjoyed some aspects of it, i didn’t like the misogyny and stereotyping of practicing muslims. you can see more in my review on goodreads.
- 10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU (Dimple and Rishi #3), by sandhya menon (ARC): GUYS THIS BOOK!!!!! I LOVED IT SO MUCH!! it is definitely my fave in the series and i just can’t stop thinking about it!
- KISSING LESSONS, by sophie jordan (ARC): this book was a mess, people. a huge mess. i am so disappointed in how the issues were handled. see my review on goodreads for more details (you’re gonna want to read it).
- THIS SAVAGE SONG (Monsters of Verity #1), by v. e. schwab: this was just…a no for me. this book was boring and dragged on for the 200 pages i read. i grew tired of it.
on the blog:
- a busy bee’s guide to being a busy bee – studying, blogging, reading, etc. (aka how to keep up with the mess that is life) + ANNOUNCEMENT
- i finally read the dimple and rishi series by sandhya menon, and these are my thoughts
- the bookish Muslim™ experience: six bloggers on what it’s like to be muslim in the book community
- ARC REVIEW: mad, bad & dangerous to know, by samira ahmed
i may have posted less than last month, but i am very proud of what i posted, and that’s more important. i also got the highest number of views and visits on the blog ever! i’m so so happy about that!!
goals for the next month:
now that i’m done with college, i’m hoping to read more books! i also hope to read some graphic novels and non-fiction, since i haven’t read any of those two genres in forever.
also! june is my blogiversary month!!! eeee!! can’t believe it’s been almost a year since i have started this blog! so be on the lookout for maybe (maybe) a post about that.
how was may for you? have you read any good books?
LINKS TO WHERE YOU CAN DONATE:
National Bail Fun Network: https://t.co/3XqVdeH4EB?amp=1
George Floyd Memorial GoFundMe: https://www.gofundme.com/f/georgefloyd
Reclaim the Block: https://secure.everyaction.com/zae4pr…
North Star Health Collective: https://www.northstarhealthcollective…
More resources: https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/