how come march was the longest month in the whole history yet april flew by like that? i still even have processed that april is here and now it’s gone. someone tell me how.
april wasn’t even a busy month for me. i mostly studied, read books, blogged and watched shows and movies on netflix. it was a chill month for me, after i decided i would reduce how much i check the news to avoid anxious thoughts. and i must say, it helped me, a lot. i spent my days locked in my little room not disturbing anyone. ramadan also started at the end of april so now i spend my days cooking in addiction to everything.
since all i do is stay home and procrastinate, i managed to read way more books than i usually read. not to be that bitch but you’re currently talking to the girl who’s six books ahead of her schedule on goodreads. yep, that’s right. i am very proud of myself.
books i read:
- THE LADY’S GUIDE TO CELESTIAL MECHANICS, by olivia waite: this book was the most beautiful book i have read in a while. it’s so soft and powerful, discusses issues that are still relevant to this day. i’m full of feelings just talking about it.
- THE SCANDALOUS, DISSOLUTE, NO-GOOD MR. WRIGHT, by tessa dare: this is a novella i found on scribd and it was just what i was looking for, a quick witty read. tessa dare did not disappoint and i found myself rooting for the characters.
- A PRINCESS IN THEORY, by alyssa cole: i have been meaning to read this book for years and i finally picked it up and i do not regret it. this romance is fairy-tale-ish, has amazing character development and scenes that will leave you swooning.
- A DUKE BY DEFAULT, by alyssa cole: the companion novel to A Princess in Theory and it did not disappoint either. alyssa cole has a way with words and creates characters that take a place in your heart and never leaves it. can’t wait to read other novels in the series!
- GUARDING TEMPTATION, by talia hibbert (ARC): this certainly was a pleasant surprise. i went in with absolutely no expectation and was left looking for words. i was so so amazed by how quickly i’ve become attached to the characters of a novella, which is something that doesn’t happen often for me.
- WILDER GIRLS, by rory power: this is a YA horror novel, and while i was not horrified, i still enjoyed it very much. i found it hard to get into and i found the writing not much to my liking, but i had a great time.
- A VERY LARGE EXPANSE OF SEA, by tahereh mafi: in my attempt to read more books by muslim authors for ramadan, i decided to start with this one and oh boy. i was hit right in the feels. it hurt how much i related to the main character, but the book was so beautiful and hopeful that it left grinning from ear to ear at the end. i highly recommend it.
- GIRL, SERPENT, THORN, by melissa bashardoust (ARC): i was surprised by how much i liked this book. from the world-building to the characters to the plot, everything amazed me. i am very glad i picked up this book.
on the blog:
- i read chain of gold by cassandra clare and i am now in deep pain (a call for help)
- i share my most treasured secrets…or as people like to call them: my good reading habits
- ARC REVIEW: guarding temptation, by talia hibbert
- on productivity and creativity during hard times…
- BOOK RECOMMENDATION: ramadan edition! (+ books i plan on reading during ramadan)
- let’s talk about five upcoming releases by muslim authors i am excited for!
not gonna lie, i’m actually quite proud of myself bookish-wise and blogging-wise. i finally have ideas! good ones! for posts! yay! stay tuned for what happens next! but on a more serious note, i really hope i get to keep up this productivity in the next months, even though it’s going to be a little hard considering that finals are nearer than before (and i live in total denial of that).
goals for the next month:
for the rest of ramadan (until may 23rd), i’m hoping to read and promote more books by muslim authors. and since may is also AAPI heritage month, i’m hoping to read books for that as well! i also hope to publish posts with these two topics.
may is also my birthday month (may 30th, so almost at the end of the month, but still)! i can’t believe i’ll be 19, how did this even happen…