with everything that’s been going on in the world right now, i thought of writing a little update post to lift everyone’s mood (especially mine). i know it’s been hard for a lot of us, and hopefully everything will be soon behind us and we’ll go back to normal.
to be quite honest, my only escape has been books so far! i have been in a huge fantasy mood for a while now; it helps me escape from this cruel world. and it honestly feels so good! i haven’t enjoyed any fantasy book for years and seeing myself picking them up and liking them makes me so happy.
here are all the books i have read since my last wrap up:
- DANGEROUS GIRLS, by abigail haas: guys, this book was PHENOMENAL, to say the least. i almost never pick up thrillers, but after hearing so many great things about this one i decided to give it a try. and i was not disappoined at all! i binge-read it in less than 24 hours and was left sHOOK to the core! the plot twist was amazingly done!
- THE KISS QUOTIENT, by helen hoang: eerrr. while i did enjoy some parts of this story, most of it felt boring and dull to me, and i found it very very problematic. i had higher expectations, and was left deeply disappointed.
- LADY MIDNIGHT, by cassandra clare: where do i start. this book started as something i thought i would enjoy, and ended up being something i really hated (no offense). i had many problems with it. however, since i haven’t read the last 200 pages of it, i intend to do so and then carry on with the rest of the trilogy because i heard it gets better and i still can’t believe i dnfed a cassandra clare book.
- THE POET X, by elizabeth acevedo: this one was raw, hurtful and beautiful. i read it in a day and was left in awe, speechless. the author has a way with words and stories that just amazes me. please pick up this book asap!
- THE WORST BEST MAN, by mia sosa: this book was a fast, easy, light read! i loved the dynamic of the couple, and i enjoyed the portrayal of cultural diversity and the struggles of the main character.
- THE RAVEN AND THE DOVE, by kaitlyn davis: this book was so beautifully written and so beautifully made and so beautifully hurtful and i loved it very much. it’s what made me get back into fantasy. (also, it has slow-burn romance and you can now clearly see why i was sold.)
- A LITTLE LIGHT MISCHIEF, by cat sebastian: i listened to the audiobook while i was cooking one evening, and i must say i enjoyed it! the romance was very well done and aaahh i live for these types of stories.
- SORCERY OF THORNS, by margaret rogerson: while i was a bit let down by this one, i still enjoyed it very much! it was very fun to read about books having souls and teens falling in love while a war is calling.
what i’m currently reading:
CHAIN OF GOLD, by cassandra clare
god, i have been waiting for this book for YEARS. and i finally have it in my hands…do you even know how much i love THE INFERNAL DEVICES…and now you’re telling me…i finally…get more…of this world… that’s all i needed this year.
i have only just started it, but it’s already beautiful and nostalgic and *screams*. i already have my most and least favorite characters, and the squad of characters are so so fun! hopefully it will get better. (and hopefully the character that i hate will be hated by all the other characters.)
as of my life update…
i couldn’t join my family to be quarantined with them, and that makes me a little sad. however, one of my dear uni friends accepted to let me stay in her parent’s house until everything gets better. we study and spend time together, and i am thankful. it has been a little hard so far, but fortunately i have distractions: books, good conversations and good company. so it’s going to be okay.
have you read any great books lately? what are you currently reading? how are you handling all the news? let’s chat in the comments!